Cops Raid Home Of Couple Who Raised GoFundMe Money For Homeless Vet

Search warrant carried out at home of New Jersey couple accused of misusing money raised for homeless man

Search warrant carried out at home of New Jersey couple accused of misusing money raised for homeless man

Victims are more likely to get compensated if criminal charges are filed, said Stephen Stigall, a partner at the Philadelphia-based Ballard Spahr law firm. First, a New Jersey judge ruled that McClure and D'Amico needed to give Bobbitt all of the contributed funds. TV news footage showed D'Amico swinging a golf club on the lawn as officers carried boxes of evidence out of his house.

The company assured customers that although Bobbitt's case in unusual, they have "taken steps to prevent this extremely unique situation from occurring again".

In a particularly damning quote, D'Amico said he'd "never" give all the GoFundMe money to Bobbitt.

Before the court order to hand over the money was issued, D'Amico is quoted by The Philadelphia Inquirer as saying he'd rather burn the money in front of Bobbitt rather than give it to him, because he said giving an addict that money would be like "giving him a loaded gun".

Bobbitt added that D'Amico is a "self-described gambling addict".

"Johnny sits on the side of the road every day, holding a sign", McClure wrote on the page, which was created on November 10, 2017.

The Bobbitt case is an example of why donors are better off contributing to nonprofits that are subject to regulations and financial reporting requirements, he said.

Bobbitt has now received $20,000 as part of the guarantee, which will be used to get him an apartment and food, Fallon says.

26-year-old virgin Colton Underwood is the next Bachelor
Colton told Michael Strahan that he and Tia are just "good friends" at this point, and that Tia won't appear on The Bachelor . Colton Underwood shared a photo on Instagram showing him with Tia Booth during their hot dog party on Bachelor in Paradise .

The feel-good story of a New Jersey couple helping out a kindhearted homeless man has taken yet another ugly turn, with a judge ordering the pair to appear in court and a subsequent police raid on their home. "GoFundMe's goal has always been to ensure Johnny gets support he deserves", GoFundMe said in a statement.

Mr Bobbitt's lawyer, Chris Fallon, earlier this week said all the money raised for his client is gone. Bobbitt's legal team maintains that he was given a total of about $75,000.

"If the government can establish that your intent was to dupe people to provide you money, then that certainly is a crime", he said, listing wire fraud and theft by deception as possible charges.

The Burlington County Prosecutor's Office confirmed Thursday that officials with the prosecutor's office and the Florence Township Police Department conducted the search warrant "in connection with a criminal investigation into the Johnny Bobbitt matter". D'Amico told the newspaper he had indeed used $US500 from the bank account to gamble on a night when he forgot his Sugarhouse Casino card but had "quickly repaid" the money with his winnings.

His lawyer claims they spent a majority of that money, a claim the couple denies.

Kate McClure and Johnny Bobbitt reunite for the first time on TV after Bobbitt helped McClure when her auto broke down two months ago on I-95 exit ramp in Philadelphia. He's reportedly getting treatment at a detox facility. Donors who find evidence of misuse can get a refund of up to $1,000, and intended recipients who don't get the money raised on their behalf can get a maximum of $25,000.

He spent most of the summer back on the streets of Philadelphia, sleeping under a bridge near the spot where McClure's out-of-petrol SUV sputtered to a stop last autumn.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.