Philadelphia incident a test of Starbucks's values



The manager reportedly asked the men to make a purchase or leave, and the men declined, saying they were waiting until their friend arrived to buy a beverage. Another patron could be heard attesting that the men had not done anything and that it was unclear why the police were called.

After the first video spurred a public backlash against Starbucks, Starbucks CEO Kevin Johnson reached out to the men who were arrested and asked to meet. No matter how honest the coffee company may be, people are still urging others to boycott Starbucks and T.I. is just one of many who is for it. The two were later released after the district attorney's office said there was lack of evidence that a crime had been committed.

In his statements, Johnson reaffirmed the company's position "against discrimination or racial profiling". Some situations, where a threat exists, will lead to a call to police, said Johnson, who took over as CEO past year.

Meanwhile, many on social media urged a Starbucks boycott- we already do - and lamented the state of the union.

13 kids killed on tracks as school cabby refuses to unplug earphones
Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath's office instructed district authorities to undertake rescue and relief operations immediately. On being informed about the tragedy, Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath flew off to Kushinagar and visited the site.

In a Facebook Live today, Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross said his department had received a 911 call from staff about men trespassing at the Starbucks. He said the officers "did absolutely nothing wrong" and were professional in their conduct toward the individuals but "got the opposite back".

Johnson also met with the two men Monday morning, reports said. "This is a management issue and I am accountable to ensure we address the policy and the practice and the training that led to this outcome", Johnson said in a video posted to the company's Facebook page early Monday morning. The man, Andrew Yaffe, said he was and called the incident "ridiculous".

Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney, prompted by the outrage and protests, has called on his city's human relations commission to investigate further into the incident. "Additionally", he wrote, "we will host a company-wide meeting next week to share our learnings, discuss some immediate next steps and underscore our long-standing commitment to treating one another with respect and dignity". Protesters are demanding that store manager, who called the police, be fired.

Video shows several police talking quietly with two black men seated at a table.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.