MRI death case: Three accused arrested

Mumbai Man dies in Nair Hospital after getting sucked into MRI machine

Mumbai Man dies in Nair Hospital after getting sucked into MRI machine

Mumbai: A man got sucked into an MRI machine and died at Mumbai's civic-run Nair Hospital on Saturday. "The moment Maru stepped in, the powerful magnetic field "sucked him and the oxygen cylinder from a distance of two feet". But, they claimed, the ward boy said the oxygen cylinder could be carried into the room as the MRI machine had not been switched on. It all happened because of the carelessness of hospital's doctors and administration.

The Agripada police has filed a case under section 304-A (causing death by negligence) of the IPC and arrested three hospital staff members, including the ward boy. Maru's body has been sent to JJ Hospital for post-mortem.

Dr David Hintenlang, from the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Centre, told The New York Times a year ago that some clothes such as socks and underwear contain metal in unexpected places - which is why patients are usually asked to change into hospital gowns before an MRI.

This is because anyone entering the room will be exposed to the strong magnetic field, which can turn these objects into unsafe projectiles that fly towards the machine.

Atul Kulkarni, past president of the Indian Society of Critical Care Medicine, said: "I do not know the circumstances of this incident, but exposure to oxygen is extremely unlikely to kill a person".

Dozens killed in fire at Miryang hospital
The latest blaze occurred not long after a conflagration at a fitness centre in Jecheon city killed 29 people last month. Yonhap says the hospital has 193 beds including 98 beds for the elderly who needs nursing care with 35 medical staff.

Maru was taken to the hospital's emergency ward but was pronounced dead within 10 minutes, NDTV reported.

The police has registered a case of causing death by negligence. The hospital's CCTV footage will be looked into, he said.

External implants like pacemakers, insulin pumps and other devices like ventilator or patient monitor can also affect the MRI diagnosis.

The machines have a strong magnetic field when operating, and patients undergoing scans are not allowed to carry metal items such as jewelry. Even larger objects such as an office chair, for instance, can be sucked into an MRI machine with great force. However, it has suspended a doctor, a ward boy and a sweeper after the incident. "It's due to their carelessness that Rajesh died", Solanki was quoted as saying. MLA Mangal Prabhat Lodha said chief minister Devendra Fadnavis has agreed to give Rs 5 lakh in compensation to Maru's family.

According to the Times of India, Mr Solanki said the family hesitated at first but the ward boy assured them that the machine was not on and that it was fine to do so.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.